Over to you
If you are a member of the GW4 Early CareeR community—Postgraduate Taught and Research students and postdoctorate researchers— and your work relates to a Water Security alliance theme, we invite you to take the reigns.
You’ll be supported by the Water Security Alliance team to invite a speaker relevant to your research interests and chair a seminar, either virtually via Zoom or hybrid with an in-person talk on your campus at one of the GW4 institutions.
Whom could I invite?
You can reach out to researchers and professionals in the water community that are relevant to your research or career interests. You might consider potential future supervisors or external examiners. Invited speakers could represent a range of career paths and sectors. International speakers are welcome to present virtually.
The Water Security Alliance is committed to championing diverse perspectives. Consider equality, diversity and inclusion when selecting speakers.
What do I do next?
- When you’re ready to invite a speaker, discuss the format of your invitation with a supervisor or review this example.
- Each partner institution rotates hosting responsibilities. Check the book a seminar section to view the open dates on the relevant calendar. Once your speaker confirms availability, complete the relevant form.
- For dates in April-June 2022, complete the green booking form for the 2021-22 academic year.
- For dates in October 2022-June 2023, select the blue form for your GW4 institution.
- Then direct your speaker to this form to complete details about their talk. Your speaker will need to send an image (usually a headshot or profile picture) to email@example.com to be used in the promotional materials. We recommend these details be submitted at least 4 weeks in advance of the scheduled seminar to allow time to promote the event.
- The WSA team will be in touch with you to help arrange details for your seminar, including room booking if you’ll be hosting a hybrid event.
Book A Seminar
What’s it like to chair a seminar?
PhD researchers from the GW4 NERC Centre for Doctoral Training in Freshwater bioscience & sustainability kicked off the 2022 seminars with a diverse lineup of invited speakers, leading conversations on topical issues and new developments.
Seminars last 1 hour on Thursday afternoons, 13:00-14:00:
- Start with a 5-minute introduction to your research before introducing your invited speaker.
- Your speaker should plan to deliver a 35-40-minute presentation.
- Lead the discussion and any questions and answers following the talk in the remaining 15-minutes.
What if I need help?
Contact firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions or if you need to amend your scheduled seminar.